Wednesday 22 July 2015

taking part in the race for life 10k - 2015


Unfortunately we live in a world where the word 'Cancer' is used far too often and somebody is diagnosed with Cancer in the UK every two minutes. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last march, she survived but there are many other people in the world that do not survive. After those many months I really wanted to do something to help those other families out there that were going through what I was going through with my family. I heard had a lot about the race for life but just never thought to do it, until one day I found out they had an event in my area. I contacted my best friend and we both signed up together.
On the morning of the run I felt so nervous but excited at the same time knowing that I was taking part for so many people out there in the world. But also that I had raised £145 from my sponsors. As soon as we got to Cofton Park the atmosphere was amazing and the determination from all the women showed how inspiring they all were on the day. I was joined by my mum and my boyfriend to support me and my friend. Before we took place at the starting line they did a small zumba class to get all us energized which was needed as this was at 8am in the morning (#notamorningperson). The zumba class really pumped me up and soon enough we were at the starting line.
Me and my friend finished the race in 1 hour and 30 minutes, the atmosphere when you run through that finish line is just so emotional. My mum was there waiting for me along with my boyfriend and a special surprise from my 5 year old cousin who just beamed with excitement as she watched me.
Picture taken by the Birmingham Mail
Cancer Research UK hold Race For Life events all over the country to raise money to research into all 200 types of cancer. You don't even have to run if you don't want to, you can walk, skip, hop, crawl or roll down the hill like most people did which looked more fun. All donations made will help fund the life saving work carried out by Cancer Research UK. There is currently a 50% chance people diagnosed with breast cancer will recover, if me taking out an hour on a Saturday morning increases that chance by even 1% then I have done a tiny little something. 

Have you taken part in any Race For Life Events?
thank you for reading!
you can also follow me here


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig